From the ice age to industrialism
The hilly and wild character of the Tyresö landscape was brought about by earthquakes and faults approximately 1500 million years ago and by the inland ice about 10 000 years ago. Relics show that Tyresö was populated almost 5 000 years ago.
From Tyresö Hall to Tyresö Castle
A powerful medieval manor, stood near the site of the present castle but was destroyed by a fire in 1613. Tyresö Castle and Tyresö Church were built at the initiative of the Lord High Chancellor, Gabriel Oxenstierna, in the period when Sweden was a great power. The castle was completed in 1633.
Oxenstierna's daughter-in-law Maria Sofia de la Gardie, who inherited the castle, was an active industrialist. Close to the rapids of Uddby, Nyfors and Follbrinksströmmen she built a linen-weaving mill, a coppersmith's shop, an oil manufactory, and a paper-mill.
The Residence of a painting Prince
Tyresö’s beautiful scenery has been a source of inspiration for famous artists and writers. One of them was Prince Eugene, who spent 18 summers in Little Tyresö near Tyresö Castle in the co-called Prinsvillan, now a well-run youth hostel with a tourist bureau. Here he painted some of his most famous works, for example The Cloud. In Strindberg's novel The Son of a Servant, Johan, while out shooting, was enchanted by the beautiful view of Tyresö:
"Suddenly there opened up before him a magnificent panorama that made him tremble with rapture. Water and islands, water and islands stretching far out into infinity. The view made him feel as if he had rediscovered a land that he had seen in his most beautiful dreams, or in some former existence." (Translation by Evert Sprinchorn, 1966)
Our coat of arms
Three millstones in the municipality’s coat of arms symbolise the activities of these places. Then, just as today, enterprise and creativity were the qualities that made Tyresö flourish. Modern Tyresö began to evolve in the 1960s. Because of the lack of housing in Greater Stockholm, intense development took place and Tyresö expanded from 5 000 inhabitants in the 1960s to about 20 000 ten years later. The increase in the 1990s was more moderate. The population 2014 is about 45000.